WHAT IS OLD, ANYWAY?



Today, I'm celebrating one of those Big Birthdays--the 7oth anniversary of the day I was born. I'm embarking on a new decade of life. I have to admit the number is a little jolting to my eyes and ears. (Thank you very much for sending me that shocking card, Sandy S.)

70.

Seventy.

Seven-Zero.

I remember when I thought 70 was OLD.

How silly of me. I say silly because beyond the fact that I've learned a few more things about myself and this life, I don't feel much different inside than I did in my 30s, 40s and so on.



However, I am sometimes taken aback when I look in the mirror and catch a glimpse of my mother in the reflection. I'd swear they put her picture on my new driver's license last week. That's not bad--she was cute. It's just a bit surprising.


I'll admit, every decade brings its challenges, but I'm blessed to be reasonably healthy and happily married to a wonderful man, and the mother and grandmother of a bunch of great guys and dolls. I'm loved by a large extended family and called friend by some very special folks. Because you're reading this, you're included somewhere in there.

Life is good. 

I want to embrace every single God-given moment of it joyfully. Shout hooray because I get to spend another day with Terry and the people I love.
 
On our 40th anniversary. In July I'll celebrate
 42 years with this wonderful guy.


I get to feel the breeze on my face, see the sun paint the morning sky red, smell gardenias and rosemary, eat chocolate, drink good coffee, sing if I feel like it, read a little, write some words, talk with friends. I could go on and on, but you get my drift.


Even though my body betrays me a little more each year, I love my life. I'm optimistically  pushing back because I understand it's the outside packaging that wears out or malfunctions, not the inner man. 

I hope I grow a little wiser, kinder and more grateful this year. I want to truly live right up to the second I step out of this "earth suit" into God's next grand adventure. I'm looking forward to whatever comes next. 

Yes, I firmly believe I'll meet my Maker one day and see loved ones who have gone on before me. But until that time, I love my life. 

I hope you love yours, too.

By the way, whatever number OLD is--and I'm not even sure OLD is a number--It's not 70. 

Trust me. I know from experience.



This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it. 

Psalm 118:24


Copyright © Reflections from Dorothy's Ridge 2016. All rights reserved

Labels: , ,