TAKE THE WINTER CHALLENGE

Please Note: This is an unsolicited post. I'm not being paid. I just wanted to share how something I read this morning affected me.

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Occasionally, I contribute to Alive Now, a devotional publication of The Upper Room. I didn't write the devotion that appeared there today, but I read it. And it touched me. 


You can receive Alive Now online.

Today’s meditation asked what aspects of winter I found most appealing and most difficult. 

It also encouraged me to think about people who are less fortunate than I and consider ways I could help. 

I’d like to share my answers in hopes they will encourage you to think about these things on this cold 31-degree February morning in 2016.

The Things I Like Best About Winter


Winter’s not my favorite season, but I wouldn’t want to live year-round where I couldn’t feel the crunch of frozen grass underfoot or see my frosty breath at least a few times a year.


For Rent?

On sunny days when the temperature rises, I like to take walks. I rejoice at the discovery of a bird nest tucked into the crooks of bare branches and ice-covered berries glistening in the sun.


Dogwood Berries

I smile and savor all these things as I return to my warm house.

I love seeing geese V over the river and songbirds dine at our feeders.

Let me not forget to thank you as I watch from my tightly insulated abode.

Our Private Wonderland
I still get a thrill out of waking up to a blanket of snow or even better, watching snowflakes silently transform the our neighborhood.

I’m thankful that I don't have to get out on icy streets. Thank you that I'm warm and toasty inside my house.

I delight in sitting down to a steaming bowl of soup or a scoop of hearty meat pie.


Mo's Hamburger Soup

Thank you that I can buy such an abundance of  food in my grocery store and that I own modern appliances to cook it on. Let me not forget my warm house.

It feels luxurious to snuggle beneath thick a comforter and warm blankets every night.

My Cozy 
Sleeping Quarters

Let me never take my comfortable bed and warm home for granted.

The Thing I Like the Least About Winter  


The hardest thing for me to tolerate in the winter are the bone-chilling temperatures.

Can You Say Freezing?

Growing up, I could never play outside as long as the other kids, especially in the snow. My feet just froze. Well, not really, but they felt that way. In high school when my friends ran around without their coats, I didn't dump mine.

Peggy Brazil McCall & me 
in the early 1960s
You'll never hear me say I hate coats. I bought two on sale this year, and I"ll stay bundled up until temps hit at least 60. 

I cheered when I discovered fleece-lined shoes and boots.

Thank you that I have always had a warm coat and for the invention of cozy footwear.

Sometimes at night when the wind howls and the rain pounds on our windows, I think of the people huddled in homeless camps or sleeping in rescue shelters. 


Check out this site.
Homeless Veterans Programs


And I wonder, Who am I, Lord, to have been so blessed?

So many people in need.

Then I go to sleep thanking him for my warm house, ample budget, and comfortable bed. I pray for mercy for all the poor and homeless people in the our world. 

In the morning, I get out my checkbook and gather those letters of appeal and salve my conscience for one more time.


Be a Cheerful Giver

Then I pray again. 

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Thank you for the many blessing in my life. May I always give with a generous hand, open purse and full heart. Show me who, where and how to help those in need.

When I finish here, I’ll gather up the warm coats, caps, gloves and sweaters languishing in my closets and drawers and find a place to pass them on.

How about you? 

Are you snug and warm today?

Have you thanked your Maker?

Do you have enough to share?

Will you give out of your abundance?

I hope you can say yes to all these things today.


“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ "
Matthew 25:45






Copyright © Reflections from Dorothy's Ridge 2016. All rights reserved

Labels: , , , ,