STORIES OF SUGAR & SPICE



I have exciting news. One of my stories and the recipe for my Mother's Nut Pie is included in a publication that's hot off the presses. 

Although my contribution is just one of many, I'm delighted to be in such good company. Two of my writing friends also have entries in BECOMING WOMEN OF WORTH, Stories of Sugar & Spice, so I've already gotten a glimpse into the heartwarming memories Kristen Clark gathered for this collection.

If you enjoy memoirs and like to bake for the holidays, this just might be the book for you. It sells for $12.99, plus postage. But this week, I'm offering it for the Discounted Price of $10, plus postage. Let me know in a FaceBook Message or Comment if you're interested. Or you can shoot me an email. 

A LEGACY OF HOSPITALITY

 Here's an excerpt from my story.

Mother liked to try new recipes and was always on the look out for something tasty to serve. One of her standard offerings, Nut Pie, dates back to the 1970s. This crust-less wonder features a chewy nutty base—think egg whites, sugar, pecans and graham cracker crumbs—topped with a cloud of whipped cream. It’s especially good with coffee in cold weather; although she served it year round.

The only failure with the pie that I know of happened when unexpected company interrupted my Aunt Mary in the middle of mixing one together. I suppose her guests weren’t of the sort she felt free to invite into the kitchen while she finished. Once they were gone, she went back and folded the crumb mixture into the egg whites, hoping for the best. Unfortunately, that best wasn’t so great. I remember her giggles as she told me that pie turned out flat as a flitter...





promise you, my mother’s Nut Pie is a great excuse for a little party. It’s so easy you might want to stir one up for your own gathering.

MOTHER'S NUT PIE


3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
¾ cup Graham Cracker crumbs (5 crackers)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
Dash of salt

Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar and continue beating until very stiff.
Mix graham cracker crumbs and baking powder. Fold into egg white mixture.
Add vanilla, pecans and salt. Pour into a greased 9-inch pie pan and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  
Chill for 6 hours. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

As Alka-Seltzer, once famously urged:

Try it. You'll like it. 

Only in this case, you won't need an antacid.  


They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

Acts 2:46b

Copyright © Reflections from Dorothy's Ridge 2015. All rights reserved

Labels: , , ,