A New Word for the New Year


Photo by Steve Rucker



In the spirit of unity, I’m taking up the challenge by Arkansas Women Bloggers to choose a word to guide me through 2015 and blog about it. This practice isn’t new to me, but I’ve never done it in such a formal manner.

My word for this year was inspired by one of my favorite verses, Isaiah 50:4.

 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a disciple and of one who is taught, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary. He wakens me morning by morning, He wakens my ear to hear as a disciple [as one who is taught].

I especially like the thought that God will not only speak to me, but He’ll also give me an encouraging word for someone else. The last part of the verse is comforting because it implies He’ll give me the capacity to understand His guidance.

I don’t know about you, but there’ve been plenty of times when I’ve asked, “God is that you? Or is this just my idea? In truth, I’ve done a little of both, and I can tell you I much prefer His plan.

My word for 2015 is KINDERGARTEN.

I know that sounds strange, but I chose it because it reminds me of a little phrase we were taught early in our lives.

STOP, LOOK and LISTEN (before you cross the street.)


In other words, Pay Attention.












If you know me very well, you understand that LISTEN is daunting for me because of an inherited hearing problem that began to bother me when I turned 60. Thank God for hearing aids, but even with hearing aids, there are certain vocal ranges that I find difficult to understand. Add rapid speech patterns and a loud environment and I am hopeless. I catch some words but miss others, making true communication difficult.  

The Latimer Curse


More and more I understand why my grandfather became so solitary later in life. He couldn’t hear in church, so he quit going. He couldn’t hear the conversation around the table so he sat quietly. Instead of whining or complaining, he read a lot. As I talked to him one-on-one and he told me what he’d been “studying on,” I came to realize he was a wise man.
 
The Culinary Suite, The Writers' Colony at Dairy Hollow




I’ve also come to depend more upon clues I see to help me fully comprehend what’s going on. When I can’t ask people to repeat their words, which I know is tiresome, I study their body language and facial expressions to help me understand.
  



My daily prayer will be for the Lord God to open my ears to hear His voice above all others, to guide me in what I write and say to everyone who comes across my path.





Above all, I want each of us to walk in God’s plans for us in 2015.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 
Jeremiah 29:11


Copyright ©Reflections from Dorothy's Ridge 2015. All rights reserved