Memorial Day 2014



Captain Wilbur (Will) Dale Latimer
May 23, 1944 - January 19, 1971

Today is set aside for us to remember those who died in service to our country. If you are at all acquainted with me, you know my brother, Captain Wilbur (Will) Dale Latimer, is among that number. He died in the Vietnam War on January 19, 1971.

Ours was not a solitary experience, and like scores or others, we managed to adjust to our loss. Life goes on, as they say, which is probably what saved us from our grief. But our family was never the same after his death. Everytime I hear or read about the death of a service man or woman, I’m reminded of empty places at the holiday table, a listening ear no longer there, the absence of laughter and fun.

I believe I will see my fine brother again someday. Until that time, I will remember the good times we shared while he was here. Instead spending the day in tears and depression, I am looking back at the gift Will was to us.

If you know someone who’s lost a loved one in war, give them a call, drop them a line. Tell them you remember and you are grateful for their courage and sacrifice.

God bless America!

The rainbow comes and goes, and lovely is the rose; the moon doth with delight look around her when the heavens are bare, waters on a starry night are beautiful and fair; the sunshine is a glorious birth; but yet I know, where’er I go, that there hath past away a glory from the earth. William Wordsworth

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. Ps. 116:15

Labels: , ,