Yippee! It's Spring

Spring is finally here! The forsythia, jonquils, and Bradford Pears have been showing out for days. This week’s burst of glory, along with transitions in our oldest grandson's life, have turned my thoughts to the changing seasons of life.

Brady just graduated from the University of Arkansas Fayetteville and started his first job in architecture. Are we proud? For sure. Was he ready? You bet. But with all that pride and excitement, he’s also had to handle the stress that comes even with good changes. And his parents and grandparents have entered the land of Happy-Sad by coming face to face with the fact that he is now a full-fledged adult. Where did the time go? and all those other familiar phrases have run through our minds for months.

Terry and I don’t wish him to be a baby again, but it means we’ve aged by 20-plus years and have entered another phase of life too. Have we seen changes in ourselves? Sure thing. Did we want to acknowledge them? Not really. But I’m not sure that’s good. While every birthday reminds me of my mortality, I’m grateful to be on the down side of 60. I’ve had friends who longed to celebrate growing older. I just want to make the most of these years.

And guess what? I hear that 50 is the new 30. I like that! That must mean that 70 is the new 50. Even better. Terry and I had lots of fun in our 50s. You know, children grown, more money and time to do fun things. I’m thinking the next couple of decades are going to be good.

 
But I'm a realist and I realize from observing my parents and in-laws that the body betrays us as we age, especially if we don’t pay attention. Things get a little harder, but I think achievements are a little sweeter, too.

My plan is to embrace the days ahead, to take better care of myself—body, mind, and spirit—and to dare to be discriminating in my activities. If it’s not meaningful, I plan to say no. If I tell you no about something, it’s not you. It’s just where I am in this season of life.  

What about you? Are you taking stock with the change of season?

  For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever.” I Pet. 1:24

Labels: , , , ,