Close Encounters

A bald eagle sometimes cruises along our ridge. Although he flies close enough for us to see his white head, he’s never near enough for a Kodak moment.

My closest encounter with an eagle in the wild occurred when Terry and I traveled to Nova Scotia with friends, Suanne and Jimmy, several years ago. I’m certain each of us still has some sort of mental image of the breathtaking moment when a full-grown eagle swooped down, talons extended toward some road kill on a mountainous stretch of highway. That bird looked almost as big as the compact car ahead of us.

He must have been one hungry guy—or his mother hadn’t taught him to look both ways before crossing the road. He came in so fast, the car had to brake hard and swerve. They might have hit him, but that magnificent creature managed a heart-stopping touch-and-go (without acquiring so much as one morsel of nourishment, I might add). The memory still thrills me.

Eagle-watching tours are available on Lake DeGray, but they seem to coincide with cold weather, and, as is well documented, I have an aversion to being cold. But recently a friend passed along what is proving to be a satisfying substitute.
A pair of bald eagles has taken up residence in a large pine tree on the campus of Berry University in Georgia. For the second year in a row, Mom has produced two eggs which she is patiently tending in an enormous nest. They're due to hatch around February 18. The university has installed two live cams nearby. To get a bird’s eye view and read more about this handsome couple, go to http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/. You can also follow a link to their Facebook page to see videos and get updates. 
The last time I looked at the cam, Mom was grooming herself as she lounged in her nest. It’s so up close and personal that I kinda wanted to tap on the screen to see if she’d turn around and look at me.

 I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Ex. 19:4b

Labels: , ,