A FRESH PAGE

I love words. As a person who dabbles in creative writing, I often pick up pretty journals and notebooks to tuck away for future use. I take notes when I read as well as of most presentations I hear. I jot down quotes and phrases that strike my fancy or inspire me. Often bits of what I hear and read stir a memory or fuel an idea for a story, poem or essay.
I try to start each day by reading a devotional or something inspirational. Then I spend time doing what Crescent Dragonwagon referred to in her Fearless Writing workshop as writing practice. I record the date and place and write about whatever comes to mind. Sometimes a scripture is involved. I may work through a problem that’s bothering me or make notes for a current project.
Although much of my composing takes place on my computer, most projects begin in one of those journals. Nothing pleases me more than to record my ideas and thoughts on the first page of a new notebook with a good pen.
I look at the New Year in much the same way. God offers us a fresh place to begin another year. His plans are to prosper our souls, give us hope for good things in our futures. Instead of scribbling in the margins and on the backs of last year’s pages, He wants us to allow Him to inspire our thoughts and plans. It will require setting aside some time each day, but it holds great promise for an exciting year.
Won’t you join me?
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.”   Jeremiah 29:11