GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES

There was a pretty clock in the bathroom where I visited recently that I glanced at each morning when I brushed my teeth. The first couple of days, I noticed I was up between 6:00 and 7:00 a.m., a normal time for me. However, the third morning when I showered later than usual, I realized the clock was back on 6:15.
While the second and minute hands swept around normally, the hour hand stayed between the six and seven. Maybe it was loose and couldn’t climb farther up the clock’s face. Whatever the cause, according to that lovely timepiece, the world was stuck between 6:00 and 7:00 all day, every day. My hostess and I laughed about it, and it didn’t matter because I had my watch.
 That twirling hour hand reminded me of how sometimes a song goes round and round in my head for several days -- which is especially bad when it's one I don't like. But what's even worse is when I can't get a problem off my mind.
We all know there are some things and relationships that are just what they are. And we have to come to terms with them. It's especially hard if it involves family or someone you work with everyday.
I found an answer for those situations several years ago when I was trying to mend what appeared to be an irreconcilable relationship. It seemed no matter what I did, it was misunderstood, and I ended up hurt or disappointed. I felt pretty miserable about it until one morning as I was reading the Bible, Romans 12:18 jumped out at me. The verse says:

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

I had read the verse many times, but that day, If it is  possible seemed to be illuminated! The words stopped me in my tracks. Could it be that some things were just beyond my power to change?  In that moment, I understood that it was not up to me to fix that particular relationship. All I had to do was be kind if I saw the person and to stay open to reconciliation.

The freedom that accompanied the revelation was astounding. Even though I had to remind myself occasionally not to fall back into the worry-and-fix-it cycle, I'm happy to say I was able to release the individual from expectations on my part. Over a period of time, the problem seemed to resolve itself.

I wish I could say I always remember to “let go and let God,” but I don’t. Periodically, I have to deal with worry, hurt or disappointment whirling around in my head. However, I’ve been blessed with friends who lend an ear as I talk things through.

I’m grateful for their encouragement and understanding as they help me get over it and move on! Their support in the process reminds me of an old Billy Preston song. 

At the risk of planting it in your mind, read on!


Will It Go Round in Circles?

 I've got a song, I ain't got no melody
I'ma gonna sing it to my friends
I've got a song, I ain't got no melody

I'ma gonna sing it to my friends

Will it go round in circles?
Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?
Will it go round in circles?

Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?

What about you? Do songs or problems ever get stuck in your head? What's your solution?
Many thanks to faithful friends!
 
 Love ...  bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.  I Cor. 13:7-8

Labels: , , , , , , ,